Apply by April 28, 2023: Laborer (3 positions open)
Maintain campus outdoor spaces for all the UC Davis community to enjoy. Apply to be a laborer, where every career employee receives extremely competitive health and retirement benefits including:
- Three weeks vacation at start, holidays and paid sick leave
- One of our state's best pension benefits and a retirement savings program
- An impressive selection of medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Plus, much more...
Full Position Description
Reporting to the Grounds Supervisor, this position is responsible for performing outdoor custodial maintenance, trash and recycling collection and moving furniture and equipment for various campus events.
- Mental Demands: Constant detailed work
- Physical Demands: Frequent cleaning and standing. Occasional pulling, pushing, reaching, squatting, stooping, bending, twisting. Must stoop, bend, walk, and stand for uninterrupted periods of up to two hours and overall periods of up to eight hours daily in extreme weather conditions including high noise, dust, heat and moisture. Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Lifting Requirements: Occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Noise Conditions: Frequent moderate noise conditions
- Elements Exposed to: Occasionally, chemicals, dirt, fumes, hazards, and heat/cold
- Equipment Used to Perform the Duties: Gown/Apron/Protective Clothing
- This position is subject to completion of a pre-placement medical exam provided by Employee Health Services, given at no charge to the applicant.
- Position may at times require the individual to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present, including cleaning materials, fuels and solvents, biological hazards and other materials labeled hazardous.
- Position may be subject to extreme weather conditions including high noise, dust, heat, and moisture. Must be able to wear and maintain approved safety equipment such as gloves and eye protection.
- Abide by safety requirements and perform duties safely without detriment to self and others.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License.
- Position will participate in the CA Department of Motor Vehicles Pull Notice System.
Smoke and tobacco free work environment: The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University owned or leased properties, or facilities operated by UC staff or faculty. Smoking and tobacco use are strictly prohibited in indoor and outdoor spaces, parking lots, residential space and University vehicles.
- Experience using basic hand tools and equipment, including pressure washers.
- Experience troubleshooting, minor maintenance and repair small engine and equipment failures.
- Experience to safely operate a variety of small vehicles and large, two axle trucks and accessory equipment.
- Experience following written schedules.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA)
- Knowledge of basic cleaning principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of recycling procedures and of types of recyclables and contamination.
- Knowledge of approved safety devices and practices. Skill to work from maps, drawings, sketches and oral direction.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA)
- Knowledge of campus buildings and locations.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and learn the use of software programs for work management.
- Ability to operate and communicate effectively using a two-way radio.
- Ability to work successfully in a team and/or an independent work environment.
- Background Check:
- COVID-19 Vaccine: The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.