About the Arboretum Waterway
Maintenance and Enhancement Project
We are excited to announce that our multi-year project to maintain and enhance our campus waterway is well underway. The waterway is not just iconic to the Arboretum, it’s an amenity for our community, and an important component to how our campus manages its stormwater.
The last time we maintained the waterway to improve issues such as sediment build up — the kind which naturally occur in ponds like this — was almost 20 years ago. This time the work will be similar, but in addition, we are engineering in features that will add movement to the water, updating the pathways to bring them up to modern accessibility standards, as well as addressing other safety concerns. (Learn more by reading our FAQ.)
Thank you for your patience as construction takes place. We look forward to keeping you up to date as we make progress on this project and hope that you will visit this page often to learn how engineers are re-designing the waterway to improve its future maintenance, aesthetics and habitat value, to stay informed about the timing and location of detours, as well as to find out how you can help!
- 6.11.18 The Aggie: Waterway steward interns' latest creation
- 5.13.18 Davis Enterprise: What's that floating in the Arboretum's waterway?
- 2.11.18 Davis Enterprise: See Arboretum Waterway improvements up close; pathway reopens
- 4.28.17 Davis Enterprise: Arboretum Waterway reconstruction begins
- 1.29.17 Davis Enterprise: Homegrown experts help restore Arboretum Waterway
- 7.26.16 UC Davis Dateline: Waterworks: Pipeline Project, Waterway Drawdown
- 8.28.16 Davis Enterprise: Arboretum waterway cleanup begins
- 6.26.16 Davis Enterprise: Arboretum enhancement begins this summer
- 6.21.16 UC Davis Dateline: Waterway Improvement Project to Begin