We are hiring two Student Horticulturists for spring quarter, with potential to extend into summer and beyond. Students will help with horticultural garden work, focusing on plant collection health and safety. Use your gardening skills to enhance visitor experience and gain experience working outdoors.
Apply via Handshake. Submit cover letter and resume by Tuesday, April 20.
- Job in California Foothill Collection and California Rock Garden
Handshake Posting: #4661144 - https://ucdavis.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4661144
- Job in Arboretum Terrace Garden and Lois Crowe Patio
Handshake Posting: #4661122 - https://ucdavis.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4661122
Under the supervision of Arboretum horticulture staff, this position will work independently and in teams to design, implement and maintain scientific collections in the Arboretum. Perform horticultural tasks, such as weeding, planting, mulching, irrigating, pruning, raking, and digging in the Foothill Collection and the Geology GATEway Garden (Job #4661144) or the Arboretum Terrace Garden (Job #4661122). Assist with the maintenance of plants, gardens, pathways, general equipment, and signage. Monitor automatic irrigation systems and plant appearance, run small manual systems, and water by hand as needed. Use hand tools and operate light power tools such as string trimmers and mowers. If COVID regulations allow, assist in the management and coordination of weekly teams of 5-10 adult volunteers in the garden. As a representative of the Arboretum, this position also provides general assistance to visitors.
Pay Rate: $14.50/hr
Start Date: Mid-May 2020
- Horticultural experience
- Must be able to work at least 6 hours per week during the academic year.
- Previous plant identification classes preferable.
- Practical gardening, pruning, maintenance and landscape plant identification experience required.
- Native and ornamental plant knowledge preferred.
- Good interpersonal skills necessary for communicating with staff, volunteers, and the general public. Leadership abilities required for volunteer management.
- Ability to learn scientific names of plants preferred.
- Ability to work out of doors in hot and cold temperatures, carry up to 40 lbs and use a variety of garden tools required.
- Must be able to perform all tasks in a safe manner and operate with care around valuable plant collections.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions including rain, cold, wind, and heat.
- Must have availability on weekday mornings and early afternoons.
- Occasional weekends by arrangement.
- CA Drivers License required.