Apply by Nov. 2, 2023: Irrigation Specialist
Help maintain UC Davis' gorgeous campus landscapes and hardscapes by planning and repairing its irrigation systems! Apply to be an irrigation specialist at the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden, where every career employee receives extremely competitive health and retirement benefits including:
- Three weeks vacation at start, holidays and paid sick leave
- One of our state's best pension benefits and a retirement savings program
- An impressive selection of medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Plus, much more...
Full Position Description
Under the supervision of the Grounds Supervisor, responsible for performing all general maintenance and repair of campus irrigation systems including mainlines and quick couplers. Plan irrigation system modifications and assist supervisors and others in installing new irrigation systems and components. Perform other duties to fulfill division goals and objectives.
- Mental demands: constant detailed work
- Frequent demands: reaching, standing, walking, talking and hearing
- Occasional demands: crawling, driving, kneeling, pulling, pushing, squatting, stooping, bending, twisting
- Lifting requirements: up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Noise conditions: Moderate
- Occasionally exposed to: chemicals, dirt, fumes and heat/cold
- Equipment used: Tools and dust mask
- Additional physical demands: Work in tight, confined areas
- Valid CA driver’s license required.
- Position will participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Pull Notice System.
- This position is subject to completion of a pre-placement medical exam provided by Occupational Health Services.
- This position is subject to Medical Surveillance procedures and review in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations and University policy.
- Required to wear protective clothing and respirator in circumstances that require personal protection from infectious diseases.
- Position performs tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, hearing protection devices, protective clothing and gloves.
- Position may, at times, require employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present. Specific hazards include but are not limited to: chemicals, fuels and solvents.
- Work outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Employee is personally responsible for following safety guidelines/procedures.
Smoke and tobacco free work environment: The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University owned or leased properties, or facilities operated by UC staff or faculty. Smoking and tobacco use are strictly prohibited in indoor and outdoor spaces, parking lots, residential space and University vehicles.
- Experience performing the operations, services and activities of an irrigation system maintenance and repair program.
- Experience in the operation of a variety of light and some heavy equipment including hydraulics and small engine equipment, both gas and diesel.
- Experience in operating a variety of hand tools.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA)
- Skills in the methods, techniques, tools and materials used in the installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of landscaped irrigation systems.
- Working knowledge of the operational characteristics of electrical systems related to landscape irrigation.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to irrigation system installation and maintenance.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA)
- Working knowledge of planting and maintaining turf, water schedules and fertilizers.
- Skill to read and understand blueprints and maintain simple records.
- Background Check: This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.