Curbside Pickup Plant Sales
Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden
Online Plant Sale with Curbside Pickup
Shop an incredible selection of low-water, easy-care plants perfect for our region!
While we do plan to bring back in-person shopping in the future, this fall, the popular online sales format provides a safe and convenient way to buy plants. Meanwhile, thank you for supporting the Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden!
Members Only Sales | October 19-21
Our plant sale store reopens to members at 10 a.m. on Oct. 19. Members of the Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden and Davis Botanical Society gain early access to our online plant sales and save 10%. Friends members also gain a variety of other benefits. Not a member? Learn more and join today!
Special thanks to our 2021-22 Plant Sale Sponsor Yolo Federal Credit Union
Public Sales | October 22-25
Our plant sale store opens to the public at 10 a.m. Oct. 22 and closes for season at 1 p.m. Oct. 25. . At this time the public, as well as members, are invited to shop. Want to save 10% and more? Become a member! Important note: For the public to gain access to our online plant sale store they need to subscribe to our online e-newsletter, The Leaflet. Sign up now! (A link to access our online store will be sent via email to our current subscribers the morning of Oct. 22.)
Curbside Pickup | October 26-November 13
(Sundays, Mondays and Veteran's Day excluded)
Upon placing your online order you will receive a confirmation with a link to schedule your pickup time during this timeframe.
Get ready now!
1. Important note: For the public to gain access to our online plant sale store they need to subscribe to our online e-newsletter, The Leaflet. Sign up now!
2. For an overview of what the online shopping and pick up experience will be like, read the information and FAQs below.
Members save 10% on their plant sale purchases! Not only are members eligible for discounts on their plant sale purchases, early access to the best plant selection and more, membership supports the growth and care of our gardens and collections, free public educational events and our environmental leadership program, Learning by Leading™.
- Members will receive their promo code and online store link via email Oct. 19. (Check junk too!)
- Just joined? Find your promo code in your membership receipt email.
Our plant sale store reopens to members at 10 a.m. on Oct. 19-21 and then opens to the public on Oct. 22 at 10 a.m. and runs to Oct. 25 at 1 p.m. Members will receive a special invitation with a link to our online store in a special, members-only email newsletter. The public will receive a link to the online store via our e-newsletter, The Leaflet. From there they can select plants and add them to their online cart for purchasing with a credit card. Once you complete your purchase, your order receipt email will also include instructions to schedule a 15-minute contact-free pickup appointment at the Arboretum Teaching Nursery.
Be sure to read our FAQ below for other important information.
Have a question?
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org (emails returned within one business day).
Once you complete your purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with a link to our scheduling service. Use this link to choose a time slot to come to the Arboretum Teaching Nursery to pick up your plants.
Before you come to the Arboretum Teaching Nursery for curbside pickup appointment, please complete the UC Davis COVID-19 Daily Symptom Survey for visitors.
Our nursery staff will be wearing masks. We encourage you to do the same.
A staff member will take your name, ask that you stay in your vehicle and load your trunk with your order — please be sure there is enough room.
If you have any COVID-19 symptoms on the day of your appointment, you will be able to reschedule.
Navigating the Website
- Do you have a plant inventory available like in past years?
Yes. When our inventory is updated, you will find links to it on this webpage. We suggest using this inventory to make a list of what you would like before you start shopping. Note: if you are not active within our plant sale store for 15 minutes your shopping cart will not save, so making a list will help you keep track of your order.
- I don't see a plant in the online store, but it is listed on your inventory. What happened?
- If you can’t find something in our online store, but you saw it on the print inventory, that unfortunately means it is sold out. Our online store availability updates in real time, the static inventory list you download as a .pdf or MS Excel document doesn’t. You may ask yourself, why do we have a static inventory at all? It’s because if gives the planners out there an idea of the kinds of plants we carry (or carried) and can be helpful that way. Also, if you have a questions about future availability, please email us at email@example.com.
- How do I make sure my shopping cart doesn't time out?
- Your shopping cart times out after 15 minutes if you’re not actively clicking and using the store. We wish we could change that, and in the future, we hope to get beyond this, but right now we can’t. To avoid the frustration of losing the contents of your cart, keep a list with a paper and pen, of what you add to your cart. This way, if the cart times out, you will be less inclined to pull out your hair, scream, chuck your computer out the window, etc.
- Can I search for plants by common name?
- Yes. Just type in the name you’re looking for in the search bar in the top right corner.
- How do I know the plant I am looking at is in stock?
- If you see the plant you want on the plant sale website, it is in stock.
- Can I shop more than once?
- Yes. However, we encourage customers to order all of their plants at once.
- What types of payment do you accept?
- We are only accepting credit cards through the website: American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa.
- When will my credit card be charged?
- Your payment will be processed at time of purchase.
Membership and Discounts
- How can I check if my Friends membership is current?
- You can check your membership status on our website here. If you would like to become a member, visit this website. (This was updated for our fall sales and will updated soon. Fear not if you recently became a member, but you name is not yet listed! In the meantime, you are also welcome to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your status. )
- Will I need to log in or provide proof of my membership to shop?
- No, there is no login to the website. We will cross reference all purchases with our member list and contact those who do not appear on our list. If you are not a member and would like to shop, please sign up here.
- Are there any discounts on plants?
Yes. Friends members will receive a discount code via email on the opening. day of each plant sale "wave". When you are checking out on the website, press "Apply" after you have entered your promo code and the discount will appear right away. All promo codes should be entered without spaces. If you are a new member, check your membership order receipt for the code.
- I have a “Free Plant” coupon that you sent me. Can I use it?
- If you have a paper coupon, please bring it with you at your designated pickup time to receive a special free plant gift.
- Do Davis Botanical Society members get access to the plant sales and member discounts?
- Yes. Davis Botanical Society members will have access to the sales and can take the member appreciation discount.
Plant Advice and Tech Support
- I am having trouble with the website. Who do I contact?
You can contact us at email@example.com. Please use the subject line “Website Help” and include your phone number in your email. We will get back to you in one business day.
- I have questions about the plants on the website and need help choosing what to purchase. Who do I contact?
You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Plant Help” in your email. We will get back to you in one business day.
Picking Up Plants
- How do I get my plants?
- Once you complete your purchase, you will receive and email confirmation with a link to our scheduling service, Calendly. Use this link to choose a time slot to come to the Arboretum Teaching Nursery to pick up your plants.
- I placed multiple orders. Can I pick them all up at the same time?
- Yes! If you placed multiple orders, but want to pick them up all at the same time email email@example.com, include all your order numbers and ask for a time when you can pick everything up at once.
- What safety protocols are in place at the nursery?
The nursery staff is adhering to extensive safety protocols. Our employees monitor their health daily, maintain sanitized work stations, and wear face coverings at all times.
- Will I come into contact with anyone at the nursery?
Your pickup will be contactless. When you arrive in the nursery, you will be instructed to stay in your vehicle. A staff member will load your trunk with plants. Please ensure there is room in your trunk before your arrival.Before you come to the Arboretum Teaching Nursery, please complete the UC Davis COVID-19 Daily Symptom Survey If you have any COVID-19 symptoms on the day of your pickup, you can reschedule your appointment.
- Can I reschedule my pickup time?
- Yes. You will receive instructions on how to do this when you make your appointment in Calendly.
- Is delivery available?
- No. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to make deliveries. All orders must be picked up at the Arboretum Teaching Nursery.
- Can I return plants?
- We want you to be happy with your plants and have a successful gardening experience. Our nursery staff will be careful to choose high quality plants for you. If you have a concern about your order after you have picked it up, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why can’t I pick out my plants myself?
- In order to ensure the safety of our staff, customers are not permitted to enter the nursery. But rest assured, we will always choose the best plants we have for you!
- Can I bring cash to pay for my plants?
- No. To keep contact at a minimum, we are only accepting credit card payments online.
- How long have you had an online plant sale store?
- When we could not host our spring 2020 plant sale fundraiser as a result of the pandemic, our staff got to work building an online database of the hundreds of types of plants we usually offer for sale to our nursery customers during our seasonal, in-person plant sales. We opened the online store this last fall 2020 and hope that this feature will be around for years to come.
- I don't see any house plants in the inventory. Where can I buy them?
- The UC Davis Botanical Conservatory house plant selection will be back when we are able to resume in-person plant sales in the future. In the meantime, we encourage you to use your 10% member discount on plant purchases at one of our retail partner nurseries: Redwood Barn Nursery, Davis Ace Hardware garden area, Lemuria Nursery and Silverado Building Supplies garden area.