As October winds down, take advantage of the autumn wonderland that is the historic Shields Oak Grove on Sunday, October 21 from 1-4 p.m. at the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden’s Oak Discovery Day!
While the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden boasts a vast collection of several different plant species and tree collections, the magnificent Shields Oak Grove, one of the most respected collections in the west, remains one of the lesser known to Arboretum visitors. Marking its territory at UC Davis for over 50 years, the Peter J. Shields Oak Grove Shields Oak Grove plays host to more than 80 oak species from all over the world.
“Shields Oak Grove is a world-renowned treasure,” said director of GATEways Horticulture and Teaching Gardens Emily Griswold. “Our global collection of over 300 oak trees attracts experts from around the world to learn and study. Fall is the best time of year to explore the collection, enjoy the first hints of fall color, and marvel at the diversity and variety of acorns among the majestic trees.”
Whether you are already a big fan of the Shields Oak Grove, or you’ve never heard of it, there’s no better time to experience the grove in all of its glory! Families and friends of all ages are invited to enjoy a variety of activities for all ages.
- Participate in an acorn grinding demonstration and acorn flour tasting with Native Cultural Practitioner Diana Almendariz
- Take part in a "tree-sure" hunt sponsored by the Sacramento Tree Foundation and Tree Davis
- Take fun, oak-themed quizzes and discover your love of oaks
- Join in interactive oak apple (gall) discovery demonstrations
- Write with ink made from oaks — the same type of ink ancient Greeks and the Founding Fathers used
- Learn about oak woodland species in a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional way from gifted storytellers Diane Pepetone and Kate Marianchild
Group activities not your thing? Pick up a self-guided tour map and embark on a serene journey throughout the oak grove on your own.
For more information and a map of the location, visit https://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/events/oak-discovery-day.