Job Opening: Irrigation Specialist
Apply by October 14, 2022
Help maintain UC Davis' gorgeous campus landscapes and hardscapes by planning and repairing its irrigation systems! Apply to be an Irrigation Specialist at the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden, where every career employee receives extremely competitive health and retirement benefits including:
- Three weeks vacation at start, holidays and paid sick leave
- One of our state's best pension benefits and a retirement savings program
- An impressive selection of medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Plus, much more...
Full Position Description
Under the supervision of our Irrigation Supervisor, this position is responsible for performing all the general maintenance and repair of campus irrigation systems including installing mainlines and quick couplers, planning irrigation system modifications and assisting others with new irrigation systems and related components.
The UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden is part of the Campus Planning and Environmental Stewardship (CPES) unit that integrates campus planning with operations that directly affect people’s experience of the UC Davis campus. This CPES unit combines the organizations responsible for landscape management, transportation services, sustainability, campus planning, environmental planning and more. The position of Irrigation Specialist resides within the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden's Grounds and Landscape Services team, which provides the outdoor maintenance and care of UC Davis' campus landscapes and hardscapes.
- 80% Irrigation Maintenance
Complete work order requests working from detailed plans, drawings, sketches and oral direction. Maintain and repair campus landscape sprinkler irrigation systems including quick coupler devices and piping from the point of connection off of the utility water mains. Diagnose problems and adjust programs to meet plant and turf requirements. Perform routine inspections of field conditions to ensure safety and landscape vigor. Perform preventative maintenance. Repair irrigation and utility water systems as necessary. Excavate and backfill by hand, use backhoes and other equipment as directed.
- 10% Irrigation Planning and Programming
Plan irrigation system modifications and assist others in installing new irrigation systems. Select types of irrigation components, estimate cost, and install or modify sprinkler systems; review landscape areas and coordinate the installation of new irrigation systems. Prepare sketches or plans to show location of all underground components of irrigation system and ancillary fixtures. Program computerized central irrigation system and mechanical irrigation controllers. Coordinate the implementation of central irrigation adjustments on a daily basis in support of events or work projects.
- 10% Other Duties
Provide written and/or oral feedback for work completed and work in progress including work tracking, inventory needs, field problems, customer service problems and safety concerns. Communicate with Grounds staff, clients, campus community and contractors to facilitate maintenance, repair and proper operation to campus irrigation systems. Mark underground irrigation systems for Underground Service Alert requests initiated by on-line web-based programs. Perform other duties assigned by the Associate Director or immediate supervisor.
- Consistently perform detailed work
- Occasional driving, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching, squatting, bending, twisting
- Frequent standing, walking, use of tools and dust mask
- Moderate noise conditions
- Occasional exposure to chemicals, dirt, fumes, heat/cold
- Crawl, bend, stoop and work in tight, confined areas.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Valid CA driver’s license required.
- Position will participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Pull Notice System.
- This position is subject to completion of a pre-placement medical exam provided by Occupational Health Services.
- This position is subject to Medical Surveillance procedures and review in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations and University policy.
- Required to wear protective clothing and respirator in circumstances that require personal protection from infectious diseases.
- Position performs tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, hearing protection devices, protective clothing and gloves.
- Position may, at times, require employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present. Specific hazards include but are not limited to: chemicals, fuels and solvents.
- Work outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Employee is personally responsible for following safety guidelines/procedures.
Smoke free work environment: The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University owned or leased properties, or facilities operated by UC staff or faculty. Smoking and tobacco use are strictly prohibited in indoor and outdoor spaces, parking lots, residential space, and University vehicles.
- Experience performing the operations, services and activities of an irrigation system maintenance and repair program.
- Experience in the operation of a variety of light and some heavy equipment including hydraulics and small engine equipment, both gas and diesel.
- Experience in operating a variety of hand tools.
- Skills in the methods, techniques, tools and materials used in the installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of landscaped irrigation systems.
- Working knowledge of the operational characteristics of electrical systems related to landscape irrigation.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to irrigation system installation and maintenance
- Working knowledge of planting and maintaining turf, water schedules and fertilizers.
- Skill to read and understand blueprints and maintain simple records.